Welcome to ServiceOntario, Canada Revenue Agency, Employment and Social Development Canada and Service Canada's Newborn Registration Service: the easiest way to register a child's birth and fastest way to apply for their birth certificate, Canada Child Benefits, and Social Insurance Number.

Do you know that the Government of Canada puts money into Registered Education Savings Plans (RESP) to help save early for an eligible child's education after high school? An RESP is a special savings account to help save for a child's education after high school. RESP savings grow tax free until they are withdrawn to pay for education after high school. Education after high school includes full- or part-time studies at a trade school, in an apprenticeship program, in CEGEP, college, or university. Add the Education Savings Referral to your bundle to have an RESP promoter (Individual or organization offering RESPs) of your choice contact you, to learn about and start to open an RESP (if you decide to), and to request the Canada Learning Bond (Bond) and/or the Canada Education Savings Grant (Grant) for your child. Bond: You do not have to provide any personal contributions for your child to receive the Bond. Available for eligible children from low-income families born in 2004 or later. An initial amount of $500, plus $100 for each year of eligibility, up to age 15, for a maximum of $2,000. Grant: A basic grant amount of 20% on the first $2,500 in annual personal contributions, for eligible children regardless of family income, and an additional amount of grant of 10% and 20%, for eligible children from middle- and low-income families, until the calendar year the child turns 17, for a maximum of $7,200. The Bond and the Grant are administered by the Government of Canada.

Why do I need to register my child?

Every child born in Ontario must be registered with Ontario's Office of the Registrar General. This allows documents such as birth certificates and Social Insurance Numbers to be produced.

What do I need to know before I begin?

  • If both parents are going to be named on the child's birth registration then both parents must be present at the computer to complete and certify (sign or confirm online) this form.
  • Either parent named on the child's birth registration is eligible to apply online for the child's birth certificate and Social Insurance Number. Only the mother is eligible to apply for Canada Child Benefits online. The eligible person(s) must be present at the computer in order to apply for any of these services.
  • Your child must be under one year of age. If your child is one year or older, contact the Office of the Registrar General.
  • For further information, review what you will need before you begin the application for Newborn Registration.

Are you eligible to register your child's birth online?

You cannot register a birth online at this time if:

We are working towards adding all birth options to our Newborn Registration Service, thank you for your patience.

For more information on registering a birth under the new parentage rules, please call our contact centre at 1-800-461-2156 (outside Toronto) or 416-325-8305 within the GTA.

Frequently Asked Questions   |   ServiceOntario Privacy Statement